SQL Database Persistence
Michael MacFadden
2010-11-30 22:15:20 UTC
All,

I was curious if there was any interest in a persistence module that
would store accounts, deltas etc in a SQL database (mysql, postgresql,
etc). Thanks.

~Michael
James Purser
2010-11-30 22:18:27 UTC
Sure,

Something like a mysql module would be excellent as it would allow people to
tie into existing infra (mysql has a massive install base).

James

James Purser

Michael MacFadden
2010-11-30 22:29:30 UTC
I was thinking of implementing this via the Java Persistence API, such
that it would be (in theory) database agnostic. At the very least I
would try to support mysql, postgresql, and maybe derby (for a simple
filesystem based database).

I am not sure what the status on the other modules is, but what I was
thinking is that a SQL persistence module is nice if you plan on ever
being able to cluster the Wave in a Box implementation. Purely file
based implementations can become problematic if you are clustering or
load balancing across multiple machines. Of course this is a bit of a
hypothetical anyway since the current server isn't really cluster-able
yet.

~Michael
Patrick Nagel
2010-12-01 02:31:52 UTC
Post by Michael MacFadden
I was curious if there was any interest in a persistence module that
would store accounts, deltas etc in a SQL database (mysql, postgresql,
etc). Thanks.
Yes, SQL-based persistence is certainly of interest.

Patrick.
--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4 http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4
James Purser

Chris Harvey
2010-12-01 09:50:18 UTC
FYI, the iotaWave server is built purely on a MySQL database, accessed via
JDBC from Java. This has allowed us to tightly integrate the wave-related
tables (blips, waves, wavelets, threads, deltas, etc.) with all of the other
eMail and business functionality that we support.

The high-performance requirements of Wave operation requires some thought as
to database schema design, especially indexing.
--
Chris
iotawave.org
Michael MacFadden
2010-12-01 17:02:02 UTC
Thanks for your thoughts. I am not sure exactly when I might start
working on this, but I think there is at least enough interest to put
it on the list of things to be done / looked in to at some point.
Thanks.
Alex North
2010-12-02 21:28:33 UTC
That sounds great. I'd very much like to see an SQL-backed storage
implementation. I have some experience and ideas about how to do it, so
if/when you get round to designing it perhaps I can help.

Alex
Vega
James Purser

Alex North
Tad Glines
2010-12-08 00:39:43 UTC
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Michael MacFadden <
Post by Michael MacFadden
All,
I was curious if there was any interest in a persistence module that
would store accounts, deltas etc in a SQL database (mysql, postgresql,
etc). Thanks.
~Michael
I have a lot of interest in this as well. I've attached a data model I
created last year. I tried to balance several factors (normalization, space
etc...) in the model. For example, instead of using the actual
waveid/waveletid as foreign keys, I used a bigint: possibly an unnecessary
optimization/complication.

We may want to consider using JDO <http://db.apache.org/jdo/> (supports JDO
and JPA) and Derby <http://db.apache.org/derby/> as a starting point. Toss
in a cache (e.g. ehcache, etc...) to add scalability.

-Tad
Tad Glines
2010-12-08 13:09:46 UTC
Apparently attachments are not allowed on apache lists.
Here's a link to the
image<https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id=12RSnga-D2WtyBUVnSQPG2Vjfk2ttxaLaoTH34y2Y7tc&hl=en&authkey=CKr-_L0N>
.

-Tad
Asif Khan Gillani
2011-01-07 14:01:07 UTC
Hi

as a quick and a simple solution can't we modify the existing File
based implementation to be used with DB's. I mean we can have a single
table to hold custom file objects containing file content and rest of
the process remains same as that in File based implementation.

Asif Khan Gillani
Asif Khan Gillani
John Blossom
2011-01-07 14:49:16 UTC
It certainly would make sense. The LAMP stack will be there by default, and
if people want to use another SQL-serving mechanism they may. Hopefully this
would help to manage these state issues more flexibly, otherwise there's the
probability that the "simple" file solution becomes a bespoke database
solution that will be very troublesome to maintain.
Asif Khan Gillani
2011-01-07 15:42:18 UTC
I think this kind of solution will be easier to understand, document
and maintain. We can easily implement JPA without making entities for
everything. We just have to create entities to hold file content for
each kind of store.
Kindly guide me if there is any technical thing in adopting the
current file based mechanism for storage in DBs.
Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
James Purser
2011-01-07 22:31:08 UTC
Personally if we're going to write a SQL driver, I think we're best of going
with the most commonly installed db - MySQL. Most developers would have it
installed, most hosting providers would have it and its a well understood
project.

James
Ya Knygar
2011-01-09 11:40:50 UTC
certainly, sql persistence would be a great leap forward,

but, since MySQL became Oracle's(with all respect, I think there MAY
be problems
with its free license or proper development)
and here were some interesting attempts with MongoDB(modern way)
i think its much more appropriate to choose by default PostgreSQL (so
many projects choose it now)
or , at least - MariaDB

I don't think there would be problems with finding PostgreSQL hosting
for people that want to implement WIAB , since - more or less
it still would be pretty heavy project, not situated for simple site
needs with
simple hosting plans but for VPS / VDS or so, were isn't
complications
to install any DB

so please, at least - make support for Postgres too, as ,
like you could see for now - it is, at least - very popular choice DB
for serious but OpSo
projects, and integrating with existing DB would be much easier for
many.
Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
2011-01-09 12:18:20 UTC
I think that with proper data access abstraction - it shouldnt be a
problem to configure WIAB to work with any sql DB. But making the
default DB to be the JavaDB - would greatly reduce minimal
requirements - actually only Java runtime. Anyone would be able to run
Wiab on it's own local network.
faisalbhagat