web client using jQuery
Mani Govindarajulu
2010-12-22 01:44:37 UTC
All,

I would like to start creating web client using jQuery to communicate with
local wiaB. Please anyone reply me whether it could be possible like
login/register, retrieve the wave list, add participants, retrieve
participants,see the wave with playback and create new wave.

Please reply me and its highly appreciated.
--
M.
1-732-570-7077
cearl
2010-12-22 03:01:58 UTC
I've been able to integrate jQuery with WIAB code (GWT generally),
though in what I think is a convoluted way ( some of the jQuery is
called from GWT JSNI and in turn invokes java methods) so it should be
possible. It seems something like a "pure jQuery" interface should be
possible, although it seems that it would involve a lot of protocol
development. I believe that there are GWT jQuery
"implementations" (i.e. widgets that provide features of some earlier
jQuery versions.
Alex North
2010-12-22 04:15:39 UTC
It sounds like Mani was talking about a pure-js (no GWT) client, written
from scratch. It's very possible, but a lot of work. Rendering of the wave
content and providing editing capabilities in particular will be a
challenge.

I suspect development of an alternative client is outside the mission of the
Wave in a Box team right now, but I'd be happy to support development of
other clients in their own open source projects, and perhaps it will be
appropriate to merge in the future.
Mani Govindarajulu
2010-12-22 04:29:32 UTC
Alex,

Actually for now anything will be easiest way would be fine for me, i dont
have time to do r&d.

if its GWT jsni supports for all browser with easy implementation, it would
be great. but i am not sure how to start -:))
Post by Mani Govindarajulu
local wiaB. Please anyone reply me whether it could be possible like
login/register, retrieve the wave list, add participants, retrieve
participants,see the wave with playback and create new wave.
Please reply me and its highly appreciated.
--> M.
1-732-570-7077
Post by Alex North
M.
1-732-570-7077
Zachary "Gamer_Z." Yaro
Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
2010-12-22 05:50:43 UTC
I think that Data API based alternative client is a good way to start.
I think it would be a lot easier to improve Data API to support more
features, than to write new native clients.
Anthony Baxter
2010-12-22 08:17:52 UTC
See the splash client. Jquery, data api
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Mani Govindarajulu
All,
I would like to start creating web client using jQuery to communicate with
local wiaB. Please anyone reply me whether it could be possible like
login/register, retrieve the wave list, add participants, retrieve
participants,see the wave with playback and create new wave.
Please reply me and its highly appreciated.
--> M.
1-732-570-7077
.
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Zachary "Gamer_Z." Yaro
Post by Alex North
For more options, visit this group athttp://
groups.google.com/group/wave-protocol?hl=en.
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Zachary "Gamer_Z." Yaro
Post by Alex North
.
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
cearl
2010-12-22 15:12:44 UTC
Is the splash client now working with WIAB? I understood, perhaps
incorrectly, that it was Even if not, that seems to be the best
starting point.
Mani,
All I've done is placing jquery ui widgets into variant of existing
wiab client, which is not what you're asking. I agree that splash is
probably best starting point.
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Zachary "Gamer_Z." Yaro
Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Lennard
2010-12-23 22:31:12 UTC
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
I am not sure if someone tried to work with Wiab Data API but in
theory it should work.
It works although only viewing capabilities have been implemented in
Splash.

Greetings,
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Zachary "Gamer_Z." Yaro
Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Alex North
2010-12-22 21:58:40 UTC
Post by cearl
Is the splash client now working with WIAB? I understood, perhaps
incorrectly, that it was Even if not, that seems to be the best
starting point.
Mani,
All I've done is placing jquery ui widgets into variant of existing
wiab client, which is not what you're asking. I agree that splash is
probably best starting point.
AFAIK there's no reason why it shouldn't work, but it may have slipped just
because no-one is paying attention. It would be awesome if someone could
give it a try and let us know (or try to fix!) anything that's not working.

Post by Alex North
It sounds like Mani was talking about a pure-js (no GWT) client,
written from scratch. It's very possible, but a lot of work. Rendering of
the wave content and providing editing capabilities in particular will be
Post by Anthony Baxter
challenge.
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Anthony Baxter
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Anthony Baxter
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Zachary "Gamer_Z." Yaro
Post by Alex North
possible, although it seems that it would involve a lot of protocol
development. I believe that there are GWT jQuery
"implementations" (i.e. widgets that provide features of some
earlier
Post by Anthony Baxter
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Zachary "Gamer_Z." Yaro
Post by Alex North
jQuery versions.
Post by Mani Govindarajulu
All,
I would like to start creating web client using jQuery to
communicate
Post by Anthony Baxter
with
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Zachary "Gamer_Z." Yaro
Post by Anthony Baxter
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Post by Zachary "Gamer_Z." Yaro
Post by Yuri Z. (a.k.a Vega)
Ian Roughley
2010-12-22 15:31:06 UTC
As Alex points out - it is possible and it is a *lot* of hard work. That's what we did for Novell
Vibe, before the data api was available. Even still, we utilized the OT code open from Google (to
avoid additional complexities/edge cases when we were federating with sandbox), which can be
compiled using GWT to JS that can then be loaded and used normally.

If I remember correctly, we dedicated a couple of resources over 1 yr to get where we are today. And
before the question comes up - at the moment there are a lot of hooks into infrastructure code that
we rely upon internally, and unfortunately it can not be open sourced at this time.

/Ian